Home Comforts: Georgia's Roast Chicken Dinner
GEORGIA SAYS: “Whenever I’m home on a Sunday my mum always makes me a roast. It’s my favourite meal and my perfect roast must include: roast chicken, roast gammon, crackling, roast potatoes, carrots, peas, parsnips, sweetcorn, yorkshire puddings and thick gravy!”
GEORGIA’S ROAST CHICKEN
- 1 x 1.6 kg chicken
- 2 medium onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks celery
- 1 bulb garlic
- Olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1 bunch of fresh mixed herbs
- Remove the chicken from the fridge 30 minutes before you want to cook it. Preheat the oven to 240°C / 475°F / gas 9.
- Wash and chop the vegetables. Break the garlic bulb into cloves, leaving them unpeeled.
- Pile all the veg, garlic and herbs into the middle of a roasting tray and drizzle with oil.
- Drizzle the chicken with oil and season well with sea salt and black pepper. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables.
- Carefully prick the lemon all over. Put the lemon and herbs inside the chicken’s cavity.
- Turn the heat down to 200°C/400°F/gas 6 and cook for 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Baste the chicken halfway through cooking.
- Take it out of the oven, and remove any string and the wings before carving.